What Forms and Payment are Needed to Comply with Nanny Tax Law?

To report your nanny’s wages and taxes, you’ll need certain tax forms.

Form SS-4: Fill out Form SS-4 or apply online through the IRS to obtain your federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN) which you’ll need for tax forms.

Form I-9: Have your nanny complete this form when hired and be sure she provides you with documents proving employment eligibility. There is a list of acceptable documents on the I-9 form.

Form W-2: Complete Form W-2 if you pay Social Security and Medicare wages of $2,700 or more or if you deduct income taxes from your employee’s pay. Give Copies B, C and 2 to your employee. Copy A (along with Form W-3) goes to the Social Security Administration.

Schedule H: If you pay your nanny wages of $2,700 or more or if you paid $1,000 or more in a calendar quarter you must file Schedule H with your federal income tax return 1040. If you aren’t required to file a federal income tax return, you must mail the Schedule H to the IRS along with your payment

Form 1040: When you file your federal tax return, attach Schedule H to Form 1040. Pay the taxes due by April 15.

Back to top